Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"God saw all that he had made, and it was very good." - Genesis 1:31

What my son Emilio (right) knows about God is what I have taught him. That is to say, he knows something about God - but has not yet come to know Him experientially. I have prayed - and will continue to pray - that in God's perfect time, Emilio will be drawn into a personal relationship with Him; that he would come to know His peace that transcends all understanding, that other-worldly peace that is one of God's precious gifts to any who will open their hearts to Him and who, with childlike faith, humbly allow Jesus to begin his good work in their lives. "Then (they) will know the truth, and the truth will set (them) free!" - John 8:32

There have been some encouraging hints that God is indeed calling out to my son. Only last week, he and I drove to the Best Western hotel in Evanston and and there picked up his cousin Matthew for a visit to The Chicago Botanic Garden. Not wishing to drive my companions mad (my picture-making efforts move at a snail's pace!) the plan called for Matthew and Emilio, equipped with digital cameras, to roam about the Garden on their own while I - ever so slowly - tended to my own picture-making devices.

When the two young men caught up with me later that day, Emilio took note of the tiny, colorful flower that I was in the process of photographing (above). Shaking his head in a genuine show of awesome wonder, my son remarked, "And to think there are people that actually believe something like this just happens!"

Indeed. The world is chock full of people that, though sensing in their inward parts that "some 'Higher Power'" is responsible for the wonders round about them, yet cannot bring themselves to equate their vague notions of this "Higher Power" with the God of the Bible.

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools ..." - Romans 1: 20-22

Someone has rightly observed, "No man is so deceived as by himself." Scripture is quite right (of course!): "The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'" - Psalm 14:1

Anyway, as I always tell my kids after having made some practical application(s) from God's Word: "That's my sermon for the day!"

Emilio is scheduled to leave for New York this coming Sunday, and I'm happy to say, the young man has had a great time of it during our twelve days. If I were a betting man, I'd venture to say that the highlight of Emilio's visit was his musical performance of his original composition,
"Dear Michelle" at Pinocchio's (Glenview), where "Me & My Uncle" were performing last Thursday (then again, Emilio always treasures his "hang out" time with his older brother, Jonathan --- and spending time with Melissa, Steve, Esther and Grace.



That's Emilio (below), a smile playing on his face for his growing conviction that his opponent - one of the Bristol Renaissance Faire's performers -
will not be able to thwart his steady march toward a checkmate (no, really - the kid's good! He won. He did!). My other cast of featured characters, beauties all, are Esther, above, Melissa, below, and Grace, way-y-y-y down yonder!)

In addition to all the many activities father and son engage in during Emilio's visits (he still lives in New York with his mother) - one in particular has become a tradition: "Emilio photo-shoots." Stay tuned. You're sure to see more images of my son in future editions of this blog.

Making memories ... that's always a good thing.


Where was your blessing today?

Listen to the warm,


Orlando

4 comments:

Playfulkarenb said...

I stumbled upon this blog by accident....it is awesome and beautiful!

Playfulkarenb said...

Thanks for the comments Orlando....this blogging stuff is so addicting. Do you mind if I add you to my site as a friend. Your flower photos are the best I have ever seen. What kind of camera do you have? I have a Canon EOS40D which I love but of course I need all the cool lenses now. I think I'm going to ask Santa for the Macro lens for Christmas. Have a wonderful day!
Karen

Anonymous said...

Orlando:
I'm positively thrilled you have chosen to share your photography outside of your inner circle! You are the MASTER!! From your BIGGEST fan!

All my love,

Esther

Playfulkarenb said...

Okay, not quite sure where to post this, but since this is my favorite post, I will put it here. I hope you consider Goodreads...ps. I loved Sherlock Holmes also...I need to add those books that I have read.Check out my reading list on Goodreads - where you can see what your friends are reading.

http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDYxMTQ2NTk6MzE1%0A