Friday, September 26, 2008

"Sometimes"

Across the fields of yesterday
He sometimes comes to me
A little lad just back from play
The lad I used to be.

- Thomas S. Jones, Jr. (1882 - ?)

Melissa recently recalled that she was eleven years old when our family last went "apple-pickin'." (Yep! That's "Half-Pint" below in a picture I made during that apple-pickin' adventure in 1992.) "Eleven!" I thought. My, how the years go by. Tempus Fugit, goes the refrain, although Mark Twain took issue with that observation. "Time does not fly," he insisted. "We fly. Time stays." Just like that, Clemens dealt a serious blow to the pearl we've romanticized for these many, many years!
"My step was swift and my heart was high" ("Lakefront Winter" - Al Giddons) when Melissa was eleven (sixteen years ago). Alas, "what shadows we are!" (Edmund Burke) Anyhow, the little lass in my daughter (at present a beautiful twenty-seven year young lady) was overcome with a hankerin' for to go apple pickin' and, well, what's a Dad to do? And so, last Sunday (September 21) Esther, Grace and I made the drive to Kuiper's Family Farm (Maple Park, IL) and there met up with Melissa and Steve. Apple-pickin' we will go!


Half-Pint had her heart set on Gala apples, but they'd been picked clean, and so the lot of us had to settle for Fujis. Not that it mattered much to me; I was along - as usual - for the picture-making opportunities, which, as it turned out, were plentiful. Life is good and worth the living!



Our party was missing good friends Dave and Ann-Marie, whose schedule did not allow for joining us on this fun outing. Too bad. So sad. However, I told Esther I would certainly be game to go back for a second go-around (hint.). I mean, there was a good number of excellent photo-ops en route to Kuiper's that I was unable to exploit due to time constraints. Weathered Barns. Rusty tractors. Lots of photogenic stuff! One such item I could not resist after our apple pickin' adventure had ended was this old Botanic Volkswagen (below), strategically parked in the front yard of some incredibly creative homeowner(s) house!


It's always a good time - making memories! And isn't picture-making grand? My brothers, sister and I can count the pictures taken in the days of our youth with our fingers, whereas my own children have been photographed hundreds of times, beginning - literally - the moment they were born! It was a simple task, therefore, finding "Li'l Melissa's" apple-pickin' picture (above) and offer my blog visitors the interesting then-and-now effect. "Across the fields of yesterday ... " Making memories. Do it. Every chance you get! You'll be glad you did.
.

Images by Orlando: (* Click on images to enlarge)

1. Melissa as a child
2. ... and as a woman
3. Grace, Melissa and Steve prepare to begin their "Corn Maze" adventure
4. Melissa - frolicking through the apple orchard (Steve's not quite so animated, but, hey ...)
5. The Three Faces of Eve:Grace, Melissa and my Belle, Esther.("Did God really say ...?")
6. Esther and yours truly (Quick! Give me back my camera!)
7. Grace picks a winner!
8. Steve ponders his own selection
. Hmmmm.
9. Juicy Fujis (Boy! I love my Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens!)
10, 11, 12. The Botanic Volkswagen!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

We had SO MUCH FUN with you guys last weekend - a second round would be FANTASTIC fun! Kuipers has a pumpkin farm...and pumpkin IS my next recipe challenge on the Apron Strings blog! ;) Thanks again for making the time to enjoy the day with us. Love you!

Audrey said...

You guys look like you had so much fun! And you took fantastic photos, as always. Wish we could have been there to enjoy the day with you!

Ann-Marie said...

We were so sorry to have to miss out on apple picking with all of you. Looks like you had a terrific time. As always, your photographs beautifully capture your subjects, whether moving or still.
If you go pickin' again, let us know . . . we'd love to join you!

As for quotes about time, here's one of my favorites:

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. - Groucho Marx

Playfulkarenb said...

Beautifully said and so true! I remember loving to look at the very few pictures my family had. I even have my dad's old full view Spartus B & W camera. I tried to buy film for it, but can't find it anywhere. I love the few pictures I have of my ancestors as well. I have a picture of my great grandmother who was a polygamist wife, I think the 8th and youngest. The pictures of all the other wives were stiff, unsmiling and matronly looking. But, the picture of my great grandmother had this incredible smile, which was unusual to find in photographs back then, and a twinkle in her eye. I was so glad I came from her. Our grand children and great grandkids will be well supplied.
Karen

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.