Monday, December 1, 2008

"A word fitly spoken
is like apples of gold
in settings of silver."
- Proverbs 25:11

A couple of weeks ago, I suggested to my fiancĂ©e, Esther Aldrich, that we visit with her 86-year old father and her stepmother for the purpose of my asking John Florczak for his daughter's hand in marriage and obtain his and Lori's blessings for Esther and I. Esther's response to my suggestion was – at once - unfeigned surprise that I would think to extend her Dad that simple courtesy - and delight for my having thought to honor John in that way.

For my part, I was rather taken aback by the big ado made over my respectful gesture toward John – but impressed, too, over how my thinking to pay him the respect due all fathers made such a monumental impact upon Esther.

Yesterday, Esther and I drove to John and Lori's and, after exchanging pleasantries, I asked John for Esther's hand in marriage and for his blessings upon it. I did so with an economy of words and flourishes – but what I may have lacked in grace or polish, I am sure I more than made up in sincerity. Apparently sincerity is something John values greatly, for he was immediately overcome by my gesture and, rising from his chair, placed his hands upon our heads, gave each one a kiss and pronounced his blessing.

Esther and I left John and Lori not long afterward, but we agreed that a wonderful memory was made during our short visit. “You made his day! “ Esther said, and I have supposed that she's right.

Showing respect to one another is a compliment that we do not soon forget. Yesterday's episode reminded me of that simple fact. “Little things” do indeed mean a lot.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU - always and FOREVER!

Esther

Audrey said...

What a beautiful story!

CONGRATULATIONS to you both - Mark and I love you so very much and are thrilled beyond belief for you!

Melissa said...

HOORAY! I can't wait for the day when you two become one. I love you both so much!!!

Ann-Marie said...

Thanks for sharing this sweet story and the lovely photo of the two of you!

Congratulations! David and I are so very happy for you.

Emilio said...

seeing this, i can grasp a little better how much i've phased out.

congratulations, dad.
congratulations, esther.
my best wishes to the both of you.

Playfulkarenb said...

Congratulations Orlando...she is beautiful!